1. Help Centre
  2. KiwiSaver Withdrawals
  3. Permanent Emigration Withdrawal

What happens if I emigrate to a country other than Australia?

If you have permanently moved overseas and have resided in your new country for at least 12 months, complete a permanent emmigration withdrawal form.

If you have moved overseas permanently to a country other than Australia, you can apply to withdraw your KiwiSaver 12 months after you have emigrated.

If you permanently migrate to a country other than Australia, after you’ve been living overseas for at least a year you can do one of two things. You can choose to:

  • Withdraw your savings, or
  • Transfer them to an approved superannuation scheme.

The amount you can withdraw or transfer won’t include any Government contributions you may have earned.

To withdraw your savings, complete the permanent emmigration withdrawal form and send back to us at questions@kiwiwealth.co.nz

If you have emmigrated to Australia, refer to this FAQ about how to transfer your KiwiSaver to an Australian super fund.

The permanent emigration withdrawal can take up to 15 working days to be processed.

To prevent delays, please ensure that everything from the checklist is included and that you provide certified proof of identity.