What are my KiwiSaver options if I am self-employed or not employed?

Membership definition

You will be considered self-employed or not employed when you join KiwiSaver if one or more of the following applies to you:

  • Self-employed, i.e. none of your work income is subject to PAYE deductions
  • Retired
  • Between jobs
  • Not working
  • Receiving Government benefits as your main source of income
  • Receiving ACC payments
  • On parental leave and not receiving payment from an employer


If you are a self-employed/not employed KiwiSaver member you will be eligible for a Government contribution of up to $521 per year. (Note that the availability of Government Contributions are set by legislation and could be changed or suspended at any time).

How self-employed/not employed people join KiwiSaver

You can join directly with your preferred KiwiSaver provider by filling out their application form. Our application form is here.

How self-employed/not employed people make contributions

If you are a Kiwi Wealth KiwiSaver Scheme member you are not required to make contributions to your KiwiSaver account but you can make voluntary payments. Note that some KiwiSaver providers may require a minimum contribution amount.

More on how to make voluntary contributions.

If you receive weekly compensation payments from ACC you can either make voluntary contributions or contact ACC and arrange to have a 3%, 4%, 6%, 8% or 10% KiwiSaver contribution taken from your payments. If you do this, you will have to qualify and apply for a Savings Suspension if you want those payments to cease. ACC does not pay an employer contribution.

Find out more about KiwiSaver for people on ACC.

If you receive parental leave payments from Inland Revenue and you wish to have KiwiSaver payments deducted from them, you will need to contact Inland Revenue to arrange this.

Find out more about what happens to contributions when you go on leave.