How do I work out what my current registered PIR is?

If you are an existing KiwiSaver member, your KiwiSaver provider can advise you of the PIR they have registered for you. (Your registered PIR should also be on the statements and annual tax certificate you receive from your KiwiSaver provider.)

Your KiwiSaver provider should ask you to confirm your PIR on an annual basis. This is a good opportunity to review your PIR. It is your responsibility to keep your KiwiSaver provider informed of your correct PIR to ensure you are paying the right amount of tax on your investment returns, and avoid the consequences of having the wrong rate.

This information is intended to be used as a guide only and does not constitute tax advice. Please contact an independent tax adviser to seek advice specific to your circumstances.

Related information

You can find more information on PIRs on Inland Revenue’s website.

Alternatively, the “IR855 - Portfolio Investment Entity: Information for resident individuals who invest in PIEs” booklet can be obtained either by visiting an Inland Revenue branch or by calling 0800 227 774