How can employees join KiwiSaver?

If you are currently employed and not yet a KiwiSaver member, you have two options for joining KiwiSaver:

  • If you know which KiwiSaver provider you want to go with, you can join them directly by filling out their application form. Our application form is here.
  • If you don't mind who your KiwiSaver provider is, fill in an Inland Revenue KS2 form and give it to your employer. You will either be allocated to your employer's chosen provider or to one of the Government-chosen default providers. Don‘t worry, it‘s not a life sentence. You can change providers whenever you like.

If you start a new job:

  • In most cases your new employer is required to automatically enrol you into KiwiSaver.
  • You can apply to opt out after your 13th day in your new job, but that option expires after your 8th week of employment.
  • If you don’t opt out, you have three months in which to choose your KiwiSaver provider, otherwise you will be allocated to a default provider – either your employer‘s chosen provider or one of the Government-chosen default providers. You can still change providers whenever you like.

More on how employees can make contributions.

Exclusions and exemptions

  • Some employers may be exempt from making KiwiSaver contributions if they are already contributing to another superannuation scheme for their employees. This does not mean you cannot join KiwiSaver. It just means your employer doesn't have to contribute to your account, even though you do (unless you are on a Savings Suspension).
  • You can apply to Inland Revenue for a Savings Suspension after you have been contributing to the scheme for 12 months.